The planned new electric vehicle factory of the US company Tesla in Grünheide near Berlin in Brandenburg is driving everyone crazy in Germany. Below are some quotes am able to put together from German politicians and some car experts about the ongoing Gigaberlin construction and Tesla coming to Germany in general.
- Federal Government’s SME Commissioner, Thomas Bareiß (CDU): “Tesla shows what is possible when political will, as well as efficient and fast processing procedures in administration and courts, meet the will to implement in business and industry,” said Bareiß to the “Handelsblatt” on Wednesday.
- Parliamentary State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Economics: If the final building permit is actually given in November, the duration of the procedure, at just twelve months, would be “more than a record,”. Tesla could not only stir up the German automobile market but also revolutionize our location in Germany in terms of approval procedures for industrial plants.
- Michael Hüther, Director of the Cologne Institute for Economic Research (IW), speaks of a “signal effect”. The rapid construction progress in Grünheide is “a great example of how intelligent and early coordination after a fundamental decision can accelerate planning and implementation,” said Hüther to the “Handelsblatt”. The fact that Tesla is also planning battery production in Germany speaks for a “suction effect”.
- Industry expert Ferdinand Dudenhöffer sees it similarly. “Tesla gives us development aid,” he told the newspaper. “Our suppliers are being drawn along with the car manufacturers.” The project is “a blessing for Germany”. “The body shell construction is very investment-intensive. Tesla needs fewer presses and welding robots and can thus achieve a good 20 to 30 percent cost savings in the shell construction, ”said the auto expert in an interview. “Once again, Tesla has a clear time advantage over other car manufacturers.”
- The Brandenburg Environment Minister Axel Vogel (Greens) praised Tesla for its project management. “Tesla is constantly working on improvements,” Vogel told the “Handelsblatt”. “Where other companies struggle, Tesla signals: We don’t want to create problems, we want to solve problems.” As an example, the minister cited the water consumption of the future factory, which is being built in a drinking water protection area. Annual water consumption has been more than halved from originally three million cubic meters to 1.4 million.
Tesla wants to roll off up to 500,000 vehicles a year in Grünheide in Brandenburg from July next year. The final environmental approval from the state of Brandenburg is still pending. Tesla is already building at its own risk with early approvals.